Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bankrupcy, gourmet salads.

Due to an accumulation of bills (rent, utilities, parking ticket and speeding ticket), my bank account has recently become an extremely sad sight. To make matters worse, for the past few months I have been a food-gobbling mess, ignoring my health-conscious ways and eating my worries away.
It has been rough, but I'm getting better.

First off, I started job-hunting. I updated my year-old resume and drove around town looking for "Positions Available" signs, and filled out a ton of online applications. Not much luck with that. However, I may have possibly found a job at Victoria's Secret, thanks to M who walked me in to the store and vouched for me as I scribbled out an application as neatly as possible. Hopefully they'll hire me, and I can take this opportunity to get in touch with my feminine side (:

Secondly, I've gone back to budgeting my food expenses and cooking everything I consume. Eating out is always expensive, and never completely satisfying anyway. I made myself a fancy-looking salad for brunch today, and it was quite delicious if I do say so myself.


Fruit + bleu cheese salad
Ingredients:
A large fistful of spinach
1 pear, thinly sliced
1/2 orange, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
1/4 orange wedge
As much crumbled bleu cheese as your heart desires
1 tablespoon of Trader Joe's whole grain dijon mustard
A touch of black pepper

Directions:
1. Toss spinach, pear, and orange pieces into a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, squeeze the juice out of the orange wedge and mix with mustard (and maybe a bit of olive oil if you have any).
3. Combine dressing with salad, sprinkle a bit of black pepper, toss.
4. Crumble/grate cheese onto salad.
5. Eat happy.

Time to hit the books once my food coma goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment